Academy MemberMap & Directions
- Practice Commenced: 1987
- Total Mediations (as of Nov 2020): 720
- Total Arbitrations (as of Nov 2020): 40
Philippa G. Samworth is a partner at Dutton Brock and her area of practice is in insurance defence (Accident Benefits), as well as providing Mediation and Arbitration (Priority and Loss Transfer) services. Miss Samworth has a number of achievements and was retained by the Ministry of Finance of Ontario as a consultant to provide analysis and technical advice to the Ministry on its preparation and drafting of the new Automobile Insurance Legislation: Bill 59 and its regulations.
In May 1997, Philippa was appointed to the Minister’s Committee for Designated Assessment Centres as Chair from September 1998 - September 2000, and again from December, 2001 to February 2004.
In 2000, she was asked by the Government of Ontario to Chair on Advisory Committee to make recommendations regarding the definition of Catastrophic Impairment. In March of 2004 Miss Samworth was again retained by the Minister of Finance to conduct stakeholder consultations and provide advice and recommendations on proposals to replace the DAC system.
In October of 2007 Philippa was inducted into the American College of Trial Lawyers.
- Consumer Rights
- Contract Disputes
- Disability Claims
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Wrongful Death
BA and LLB from Queens University and called to the Bar in 1979.
Memberships & Affiliations
- The Canadian Bar Association
- The Metropolitan Toronto Lawyers Association
- The Advocates Society – Past President and Chair of the Insurance Committee
- The Medico-Legal Society – Past President and on council since 1995
- The Canadian Defence Lawyers Association – Founding Member
- The American College of Trial Lawyers
- In 2002 Philippa was the first recipient of the prestigious Canadian Defence Lawyers' Lee Samis award for
- Philippa is a past President of the Advocates Society, a founding member of the Canada Defecnce Lawyers and a past President of the Medical Legal Society.
- On April 27, 2006 she became the first recipient of the OBA Award of Excellence in Insurance Law.
- Philippa has also been recognized in "Best Lawyers in Canada" annually since 2008.
- In September of 2014 Philippa was awarded the Advocates Society Medal.
- In 2016 Philippa was awarded the Medico-Legal Society of Toronto Award.
Rates Available On Request